The story of the forging of India, the world’s largest democracy, is a rich and inspiring one. This volume, a sequel to best-selling India’s Struggle for Independence, analyses the challenges India has faced and the successes it has achieved in the light of its colonial legacy and the century-long struggle for freedom. It covers the framing of the Constitution and the evolution of the Nehruvian political and economic agenda and basics of foreign policy; the consolidation of the nation and contentious issues like party politics in the Centre and the states, the Punjab problem and anti-caste politics and untouchability. These, along with objective assessments of Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi, Jayaprakash Narayan, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Rajiv Gandhi, Vishwanath Pratap Singh, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, and Manmohan Singh, constitute a remarkable overview of a nation on the move.
India since Independence by Bipan Chandra
- All new four-color edition.
- Comprehensive 4 sections: Visual arts, Performing arts, Culture of India, and Appendices.
- New chapters on Buddhism and Jainism & India through the eyes of foreign travelers.
- New appendix on Current affairs related to Indian Art and Culture
- Videos related to the chapters available through QR codes
- Keywords in every chapter highlighted in color
- Updated Previous Year Questions and Answers of UPSC Preliminary and Main Examination